Friday, November 28, 2008

Letterboxes






A couple of days ago, I went letterboxing with my friends Gabe and Maretta. Their Mom printed out the directions on the computer to find the letterbox. We followed the directions until we came to one trail where it splits into three other trails. It said that Reedies (college students) don't usually chose the middle trail. We didn't go on that middle trail and we went a different trail. It said we had to pass three planks and six earthen risers. We couldn't figure out what six earthen risers were. It said that it was in the heart of a Y before six earthen risers. We looked all around and we couldn't find it. So we went back and chose the middle trail. We walked down that one and after three planks we found six earthen risers - which were steps! We found it in a log that was shaped like a Y, down in the middle of it where it was hollow.

A letterbox is a box that you hide out in the woods. Inside there is a book and a stamp. You follow directions to find it and when you find it you take the stamp in the box and stamp your book which is called a passport and then you take your stamp and stamp it in the book in the box. It's a lot like geocaching.

When I came home I made a letterbox to hide up on Powell Butte. I named my letterbox the crying tree because I'm hiding it near a crying tree which is a tree with sap dripping down it.

I LOVE LETTERBOXING

No comments: