Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mama loves bats!

So, bats are cool. I don´t care what you think. Phelan asked me why they are my favorite animal and here it goes (although I think it takes no explanation). First and foremost, they are a flying mammal. Name another, I dare you - squirrels don´t count. They fly without feathers or eyesight, hmmm. Cool. They pollinate flowers like bees and bugs. They eat fruit like other mammals and, oh yeah, some of them drink blood from the legs of animals. But when you look at their little body and face, they´re actually kind of cute and fuzzy, kinda. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE THEM AND THEREFORE, THAT IS WHY THEY ARE MY FAVORITE.

Now picture this. It´s seven in the evening and my family is climbing into a giant cave in Guatemala. We sit on rock ledges with giant drops on either side of us about 20 feet to a river flowing through the cave. It´s dark and of course, I´m nursing Casey. Then it starts. You hear some squeeks, something flies by your head. You flip on your flashlight and there they are, thousands and thousands of bats circling around your head and heading out the entrance to visit nearby feeding grounds. I have never ever done anything like that before and probably never will. It was really incredible and I was so happy to experience it with the kids.

No comments: