Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hanging in Itzapa Guatemala







It´s early in the morning. I´m in an internet store that also sells yarn, powder, sodas and cookies. Outside there are Mayan women and girls walking up the cobblestone streets carrying small baskets of dried corn on their way to getting it ground up for morning tortillas. Dogs are barking and roosters are crowing EVERYWHERE. Somewhere far off, I hear a band playing and the sounds of birds and tuk tuks fill in any other background noises. Occasionally a horse carrying firewood goes by accompanied by a man probably waring a cowboy hat and machete. I love the sound of the horseshoes on the cobblestones.
We arrived in Itzapa and moved into our beautiful house five blocks from Maya Pedal. Our hostess, Telma, makes us breakfast and lunch everyday which thus far has been really good and hearty stews accompanied by black beans and thick tortillas. We have two rooms in her house and our own bathroom. For three weeks and two meals a day it´s $300.
The best part for us as parents has been watching our kids become these amazing outgoing world travelers. Ryder met some kids in the plaza and they´ve been hanging out together everyday since. They play intricate games of tag and soccer as well as bike around the neighborhood together. Phelan has made friends with Telma´s grandson Robinso as well as the street kids at Maya Pedal.
But honestly, Casey is the rockstar in town. Everyone knows him. Latinos love kids but they love babies even more. When I go to the plaza without him, the women ask where he is. Everyone touches and kisses him and constantly tells me how beautiful he is. It´s cute but also somewhat annoying after awhile. One night Casey woke up from a nap starving. I walked him to the main plaza for a snack. There was a woman making french fries. I tried to buy some while he was crying in my arms but instead, all the women crowded around us staring, touching, singing and asking me questions. I honestly just wanted some french fries. Ryder says whenever he walks through town, there are girls following him, hiding and giggling. He tries to hide his hair in his hood but yeah, with those dimples and blue eyes, there is no hiding.
The people here are much friendlier than Baja but also far poorer. Which just goes to show that money does not bring happiness. They have been helping me with my Spanish soooo much. I´m taking classes in Antigue every other day and it´s really hard work. I´m constantly asking if I¨m saying the right thing or sometimes, they just laugh at me.

No comments: